[Miscellany]

Saturday, July 08, 2006

the crux

I've been thinking about the BB thing and have come up with why I'm concerned by it. It's not about how Big Brother handled it or about whether the label of sexual assault fits or not. It's the question in my head: Why do men think it's okay to demean women sexually? Why does society support it? I've been around for a while. This situation was not created by Big Brother. Men do this kind of shit all the time under the guise of "boys will be boys" (you would be extremely hard pressed to find a woman who hadn't gone through some sort of incident that involved men behaving innapropriately. God knows I have walked down the street in broad daylight just minding my own business and been groped or slapped or had sexually explicit things said to me by men I've never even met - that's just the icing on the cake. I dress like a school teacher by the way, in case that's what you were thinking - and the fact I had to justify that sort of pisses me off. I don't know any women who hasn't had something along the lines of this happen. Sure it's not a bloody turkey slapping but the attitude of the situation is the same) and women either support it by "playing along" and saying ohh that kind of thing happens all the time, there's nothing you can do about it, or labelled as hysterical feminists if they say anything against it. I am not talking about acts of explicit crime at the moment but I just want to know why young men think it's okay to sexually demean women!


Archives