[Miscellany]

Monday, July 10, 2006

give me a reason to love you

I wanted to move away from the last few posts focusing on gender politics - but then Musical Monday came along and I remembered my old friend, music - and how even when you feel like there is no hope and that fewer than the people you can count on your fingers actually understand you there is usually a song out there that will do the job of a thousand friends to make you feel not quite so alone.

I discovered Portishead's debut album Dummy when I was still in high school (yeah, it's that old). Glory Box and Sour Times were all over the radio and I loved them, but actually it was the song Roads that made me fork out money for it. This album is one of my all time favourites in my whole collection. Every song is beautiful. I always rate an album by whether you can listen to it from start to finish without feeling the need to press the skip button on every listen. This is one of those rare gems.

The song Glory Box from the album Dummy is the song I've picked for my MM today. It typifies everything I've been thinking for the past week or so - just like it did when I heard it over 10 years ago.

I won't apologise for being political or confrontational about gender politics but I can't say I'm wholey thrilled if you think I'm completely beyond repair and freakish either. I guess it comes down to what I was saying about that whole "speaking up thing" and damning what people think. Sometimes I think that I was always destined to be a little behind the 8-ball when it came to my understandings of men. And in fact perhaps the opposite is actually true. There is a little too much understanding going on and well, ignorance really must be the easier road to take at times! I think maybe I wasn't given the best introduction or something - sometimes it's hard to let go of wrong doings (cbg) especially when it's constantly in your face all the time anyway.

But in any case I hope you enjoy the music and the message and don't think I've eaten too much of the crazy cake. Beth Gibbons truly has one of the most magical voices in music and this song is one of those pieces of music that is absolutely timeless, poignant and beautiful. So, if nothing else - take that.


Powered by Castpost



Archives