[Miscellany]

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Displaced Person

Today I hit a wall and became my destiny as the only person that exists right now.
This is about isolation and not ego.
Somehow in amongst the 745 unread work emails I suddenly received no more today.  I sent a few, no reply.  My Facebook messenger instantly stopped.  It was strange and displacing but apt, I suppose.
I didn't speak
There wasn't anyone to talk to.
I've talked about this book before - Displaced Person.  It has haunted me since I first read it when I was 16, about a million years ago.  It's the tale of a boy who disappears from his own life into a parallel universe, where he can excruciatingly still see his old world playing out before him but his link with it is at first strained and then tenuous and then non-existent as he slowly becomes completely forgotten by all that ever knew him.  Like being trapped behind a two-way mirror. Unseen but seeing.
This is me now.
I waft from my technicolor life to monochromatic grey.
I go for walks
I enjoy not keeping to a schedule.
No one thinks twice about me not being there.
I look out my literal and figurative window and watch the others live.
Unseen but seeing.


Archives