[Miscellany]

Monday, December 24, 2007

A very 80s Christmas

Honestly I tried to avoid this as long as humanly possible but I've come to the point where I have to finally come clean or risk living a lie for the rest of my life.

I'm a fan of the song "Last Christmas" by Wham.


ride 'em cowboy!

There's just something so deliciously warm and inviting about Andrew Ridgeley in a (rather too) thick knit jumper looking over his wine glass knowingly at George Michael. What a lovely civilised Christmas they all seemed to have, even though George Michael's heart was given away (the very next day...but last year. Yes it's all very confusing). Their Christmas was so unlike any Christmas I ever had and I wished they'd invite me over for egg nog and snow ball fights too. I even had a multicoloured thick knit that I could have worn to the festivities. Alas, it was never to be - for one thing we're in the middle of summer and wearing a thick multi-coloured anything is just wrong when it's 30 degrees outside and everyone is playing under the sprinklers and not drinking egg nog at all. A girl can dream though.

Anyway, the point is - although I realise that the song is no classical masterpiece it still warms the cockles of my heart whenever I hear it. I guess that's what nostalgia does for you - good or bad.

Wherever you find yourself at Christmas this year, I hope it's a lovely one filled with many a knowing look across the dinner table over a glass of red with someone with 80s hair. Personally I plan to spend the next few days thoroughly smashed - not because of any fun get together reason but just because it's the only way I can foresee getting through it without having a nervous breaksdown -sans liver sure- but alive nonetheless. Does alcoholism start for many as a method to numb the horror I wonder? We shall have to wait and see.

But no, really Merry Christmas.

What's your favourite Christmas song? I have much too many to list but this is in the winner's circle (I can't help it!).

Last Christmas - Wham!



Labels: , , , ,



Archives